imPress International Media Ltd
Home About Us Contact

telephone : +44 (0) 1875 825 700
impress@impressmedia.com

About Carrington Kirk

The earliest mention of the parish occurs in connection with its church which was in existence at the time of David 1 (1124 – 1153)

The old form of the parish name was Kerintoun / Kerrington and is said to have been derived from the Kerr Family.  The lands of Carrington formed part of the Dalhousie possession.  These were erected into a free burgh of barony in 1664 in favour of the 1st Lord Ramsay.  The lands were soon acquired by the Primrose family who became Earls of Rosebery.  As a burgh of barony, Carrington had a weekly market and fairs on 1st June and 18th October. 

It is of interest to note that John Knox’s grand-nephew, also John Knox was the minister of Carrington from 1619 to 1653 and was succeeded by his son John (1653 – 1659), great-grand-nephew of the reformer.   He was followed in 1682 by Robert Monteith, author of ‘ A Theatre of Mortality’

The parish of Carrington was a centre of the Covenanters during the unsettled times that followed the restoration of the Stuarts in 1660.

The original church was in the northeast corner of the parish and was consecrated by David de Bernham, Bishop of St. Andrews on May 2nd 1243.  Construction of the present building was started in 1710 (the date in the lintel above the doorway in the bell tower).  Built of red stone, it was completed in 1711, replacing the old church which had fallen into dilapidation and been abandoned. 

The tower stands forward of the main part of the building with a doocot at its head under the bell-cast roof.  There are sundials at the top of the walls on the street elevation.  The church underwent further restoration in 1928.  In 1938 the harling was removed and the tall windows, with their Y-shaped tracery, inserted.   

By the 1980s, this ‘B’ Listed church had lost its congregation and was falling into disrepair.  A firm of graphic design consultants took on the considerable task of adapting the building for use as their offices and studio until 2003 when it was taken over by imPRESS International Media Ltd.

A minimalist approach was taken with the interior, disrupting the church building as little as possible.  The one major change was the installation of a new Gothic lancet window behind the Squires Gallery, which is in keeping with the rest of the building’s windows.  Coloured windowpanes which were not of artistic or historic note were removed and replaced with clear glass which makes the building bright and airy.  The Squires Gallery was replaced with a larger floor and a second mezzanine was installed.

While the reuse of Carrington Church is a radical departure from its original purpose, local reaction is positive and supportive. 

One part of the church’s former role occasionally affects business:  the graveyard still contains family plots and from time to time there are burials.  On such occasions, the office will follow the wise and respectful course of closing and adjourning to the local hostelry.

The Road to Carrington

Along the Road to Carrington, When lissom Spring is here
The soft west wind shakes down in showers
The crabtree and the sloe bush flowers.
The chaffinch rings his silver bell, From every hazel in the dell,
And wayside whins are cushioned gold
Before the Road to Carrington
Before the Spring is old.

Along the Road to Carrington, When Summer fills the land
The dell’s seagreen, and shivering corn
Waves far along the blue skied morn.
And yonder where the Hill pines sway, The moorfoot braes are swept all day,
By wine like winds from off the sea.
Along the Road to Carrington
By honey scented lea.

Along the Road to Carrington, When Autumn gilds the green
The breeze that went to sleep at noon
Wakes up with twilight shades to croon.
The twittering birds to rest where now, They perch on every sheltered bough,
While fields of stubble stretch afar
Along the Road to Carrington
Beneath the evening star.

Along the Road to Carrington, When Winter comes at last
The furrows of the frosty field
Show dull December’s death white yield.
But such things are beyond our ken
For in some bielded but or ben,
We sit;  nor think that we should go
Along the Road to Carrington
Amongst the drifting snow.

Back to contact page

carrington kirk
© copyright 2009 - 2014 imPRESS International Media Ltd | telephone: +44 (0) 1875 825 700 | site map | legal | website by fisher simons